Monday, August 06, 2007

It is no hidden fact that we are homeschooling. For us it is just the best fit for our family. So, the other day while I was scouring over curriculums I felt the need to test the waters and see where the kids stood math wise. I grabbed the addition flash cards to see what the kids knew. Gabe went first and did awesome. He is a bit rusty, but he is really starting to regain what he lost pre-op. Lindsay was in a bad mood and had an attitude so she went to her room to compose herself and check her attitude.

When she came back later she told me that she would much rather do "Language Arts". I asked her if she knew what that was and of course she did not. Since we believe in child led learning I started introducing them to nouns, verbs and adjectives. Hannah had wandered off to do her own thing but was still in ear shot of what we were talking about.

I held up a red and blue toothbrush and asked, "What is a toothbrush?" Lindsay immediately replied, "A THING so it is a NOUN!" I said you are correct. Then I hear this voice from the living room (we were in the kitchen) say, "But if you are talking about the red and blue those are adjectives. They DESCRIBE!" I could not help but laugh. Yes Miss Hannah you are so correct those are adjectives.

I cannot believe that my then 3 year old picked up adjectives so quickly. Those are her favorite questions to answer. She can even pick them out in a simple sentence. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTG Hannah...and LB...LOL